Monday, September 15, 2014

I'd Rather Be Reading

There is nothing better than a good book! A book that you can really get lost in, that keeps you up way past your bedtime. Books where you feel the characters’ emotions, see their surroundings, become part of their story. I discovered this at a very young age as I fell in love with Pippi Longstocking and her many adventures and I still love being pulled into a good story to this day.

In the past few weeks, I have read three wonderful books:  The Orphan Train, Good Grief and Me Before You.


The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline - This book is based on a chapter from American history that I was not familiar with. Between 1854 and 1929, so-called orphan trains ran regularly from the cities of the East Coast to the farmlands of the Midwest, carrying thousands of abandoned children whose fates would be determined by luck or chance. The story moves between a young, Irish immigrant, Vivian, living in the Depression Era, and a contemporary teen, Molly, who is in and out of foster homes. The weaving of a modern day story with a historical one is nothing short of brilliant. I loved, loved, loved this book!



Next up was Good Grief by Lolly Winston – I accidentally came upon this book while on my summer travels. For $4.00 at a resale shop, I picked up this book and was totally taken with the author’s writing style. To be able to write in a clever and humorous way about the grieving process takes incredible talent. The main character, Sophie, becomes a widow at the age of 36. She desperately wants to be a good widow - a graceful, composed Jackie Kennedy kind of widow. But, unfortunately, Sophie is more of a Jack Daniels kind. Downing cartons of ice-cream for breakfast, breaking down in the produce section of supermarkets, showing up to work in her bathrobe and bunny slippers, I laughed out loud a number of times while reading this book. I totally loved this book and am considering picking it for my Book Club selection in the fall.



Most recently I read Me Before You by JoJo Moyes – Thanks to my friend, Carolyn, for the recommendation of this book! It was wonderfully written, I couldn’t put it down. At the heart of this book is a romance between Louisa and Will, but it also involves Will’s struggle to live as a quadriplegic and Louisa’s determination to make him believe that life is worth living. This is one of the few books that actually moved me to tears at one point. I felt the pain of their relationship and their situation so deeply! It was an excellent read that made you think about the story long after the last page was read.

I am currently rereading Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda.  I read it a couple of years ago and then it was chosen as our book club pick for September.  I will admit that I am enjoying it the second time around as much as I did when I initially read it! 

Everybody should believe in something.  I believe I'll read another chapter :)



2 comments:

  1. I also love to loose myself in a book. You before Me was one of the most beautiful books I have ever read...and I was amazed at Orphan Train and that these sort of things actually happened after the war.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...