Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sisters

For the longest time, whenever my sisters and I would be out somewhere and we would see 2 or 3 little old ladies together, we would always look at each other and say, "That will be us someday!"

Sometimes we would laugh when we would see them dressing the same or have the exact same bottled hair color (usually a blue/grey). Other times we would sigh and try to keep the tears at bay when we would see one helping the other to walk without falling or helping to manage her purse and shopping bags. Then we would always decide which one of them each of us would be. If one had high heels or leopard print sunglasses, it would be Dianne. If one was a bit younger and cuter, Mary. If one had a totally coordinated outfit, me!

My hubby sent me the following email this morning and I immediately thought of myself with my sisters:

Three sisters ages 72, 74, and 76 live in a house together. One night the 76 year old draws a bath.
She puts her foot in and pauses. She yells down the stairs, "Was I getting in or out of the bath?"

The 74 year old yells back, "I don't know. I'll come up and see."

She starts up the stairs and pauses. Then she yells, "Was I going up the stairs or down?"

The 72 year old is sitting at the kitchen table having tea listening to her sisters. She shakes
her head and says, "I sure hope I never get that forgetful."


She knocks on wood for good measure. She then yells, "I'll come up and help both of you as
soon as I see who's at the door!"


At first I laughed when I read it, then I cried. My sisters and I have a special bond that neither time, nor distance, nor life's circumstances can break. It started from the day we were born and it has continued throughout the years.

So, my dear sisters, no matter how old, or slow or forgetful we become, as long as we are together, we will still be smiling! (P.S. I am clearly the one in the pink bathing cap - it is my favorite color!)


7 comments:

  1. You are just too cute! Especially in the pink bathing cap!
    Miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you too Tania! I hope you are enjoying your new home =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this story! brought tears to my eyes... i hope my sisters and i are just as fortunate when we are in our 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm tearing up again...Like I did this morning when I called you because I needed my sister to talk with and understand me! Of course being the oldest, I'm the one in the middle because it takes both of you to hold me up! Love, Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great post Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are Joanne, but I really do miss you guys and scrapbooking with you. Like my sisters - you guys became my saving grace while the boys were little and I was at home with them going crazy! Friday night Pizza crops kept me sane! It must have been all the laughter - thank you for those nights!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your kick line...and the little heart tattoo..great that you and your sisters are so close.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...